Friday, July 13, 2012

Phonics!

While reading the Clark article, I was hoping to gain some advice on how to coach my students to read. The article gave some examples of general cues and directive cues and a list of "factors to consider" that I could use, but I didn't find much in the article other than that. I actually felt like some of the teachers in the examples given seemed a bit abrasive. However, I did like that the article mentioned helping students find word families or parts of the word that they recognized to help them figure out what the whole word is. I was hoping to find some great strategies to use to coach my students without saying "sound it out," but I didn't gain as much form the article as I hoped. I chose to read chapter 5 from Classrooms that Work as my second reading and I was not disappointed. The chapter was filled with great ideas and strategies that I think will be very helpful in "coaching." I really like the "Guess the Word" activity and the "Making Words" lesson. These are the types of strategies and cues I was hoping to find from the readings. I think students will appreciate these activities because they make learning fun by turning it into a game. There is still a lot more I would like to learn about coaching my students through reading and phonics, but the activities from the chapter are a good start!

3 comments:

  1. I was a little disappointed by the Clark article also. I felt that most of their examples were very similar and was hoping they would have included more coaching strategies in their article. I am glad to know that Classrooms that Work reading has more ideas and strategies. I will have to read it later on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madison,

    I love your pictures. The activities that you posted (your pictures) were very similar to my idea. I think that using magnet letters are great to use in order to finish a predesigned word. For earlier grades, such as the Kindergarten classroom you will be in this fall, I think this could really engage students. What in the classroom is magnetic for children to stick things on? The only thing that I can think of is a metal filing cabinet or desk. Is there anything else?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kendra, to comment on your comment, children can use magnets on cooking sheets! I have seen several teachers use cooking sheets (pans) for phonics related learning. They are small and easy to store so they won't be in the way. Plus each child or table can have an opportunity to work with them. I also think magnets could be great for learning phonetic awareness because it is fun and engaging, and teachers can set it up as a 'station' or option in a reading corner!

    ReplyDelete