Thursday, July 26, 2012

Vocabulary



I read the article by Blanchowitz and Fischer. I also read the article by Lane and Allen. I really like the word wall that was mentioned in the Vocabulary Lessons article. The teacher had posted a word wall in the classroom that the students helped to build. If the students encountered new words while reading, talking, watching TV, or anywhere else, they could post the words on the word wall. The teacher gave points to students for posting words, talking about where they heard it or saw it, and using the words themselves. I think allowing students to post words to an "Interesting Words" word wall is a great way to encourage your students to search for unfamiliar, interesting words. I think this would be a fun way to get students involved. However, I am not sure how I feel about making it a contest. Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I read the same two articles! And before I even read your blogpost I wrote about the word wall idea too! I liked the idea and I think it could be a fun way for students to share new words with the class and learn at the same time. I think it would be okay to give the students who participate a little incentive, but I don't think 'contest' is the wrong word. Some students will participate more than others, and I think making this a fun side project that students can do if they want to (and not get graded on) is a good way to encourage self motivation to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a teacher who did a similar "word wall" when I was growing up. I like this method of using a word wall because it provides tangible incentives for children to find new words. Word walls with easy sight words are definitely necessary, but I think it's also important to give children a challenge.

    ReplyDelete